Thursday, July 29, 2010

The "Start of Something Good" is scary!

This week I really started my "photography education"....I got 3 new books, The Guide to Posing for Portrait Photographers, Master Guide for Photographing High School Seniors, and the Senior Portrait Photography Handbook. I also have a subscription to Professional Photographer's Magazine and am frequenting many photography websites. And now....I'm freaking out!!!! I keep reading over and over again that there is a difference between "soccer mom's that take good pictures" and "professional photographers". (The kids are have reassured me that none of them have ever played soccer, so I don't fit into the first catagory) :) I know I am not a "professional photographer", but I know I take good pictures. I want to be that "mom" who turns into a professional photographer. There is soooooooo much I have to learn and I want to know it all TODAY! I really think that I have an "eye" for what looks good. To me, it is like teaching...it just comes naturally to me. I'm scared though, that I won't be "good enough". Like teaching, I want to be really good at this. I know, that if anyone has asked me to take their pics, it's because they wanted me to do them...I didn't seek them out and that makes me feel good! I know in my mind, that this takes time. It doesn't happen over night...or even in a month. If I "experiment" and learn all I can over the next year...next summer, when I have more time...I will be much better. But, because I'm an "instant gratification" sort of gal....I stress myself out. After teaching for 23 years, I am terrified at the thought of a "new career". I guess what is the best part of this is...I can continue to do what I love the most (teach) for the next 7 years, learn a new "career" that is my passion, and when it is time for me to retire, I'll have a whole new life doing something that I love. I'm confident that I can do this....and I know that I'll have a melt down from time to time wondering what the heck was I thinking, but I need to follow my dreams.
Next week I start doing some "real" photoshoots. Kyle will be my first victim...I'm hoping that he will be patient with me. I am doing a photoshoot of Kayla and 3 of her friends and Kayla and Michael. I get to do 2 senior photoshoots with Dylan and Ben. I am very excited about both of those :) I also will get to do a newborn photoshoot for the Spangles. This one has me nervous, but excited at the same time :)
So, I'm going to approach this like I did when I first start teaching 23 years ago......I know what I am doing....I'm good at this....I have fun doing it...I'll learn along the way... :) I'm still scared and not surprised that it only took me 2 weeks before the tears came....but I'm excited to see where this will go!

No comments:

Post a Comment